Avalanche Studios is looking for a Level Designer to join our team in creating the next great AAA open world action game. As a Level Designer, you’ll be responsible for creating amazing locations in the game world while also scripting specific experiences the player will have in them. Think of it as being responsible for making both a mission and the setting where it takes place.
We’re currently looking at Designers of all experience levels—junior, mid, and senior. If you’re junior and you’ve got the drive and talent, we’ll train you to be one of the best. If you’re senior, we’ll scale your responsibilities to match.
But regardless of experience level, the role will primarily be focused on the game itself. On getting your hands dirty and actually building great experiences with a wide range of editors and tools. In practice, this entails tasks like:
- Working with the Lead Designer, Lead Content Designer, and your fellow Level Designers to formulate a pitch and seeing it through the approval process.
- Building the barebones version of the setting. From the rough shape and placement of buildings and roads to any important natural landmarks and vegetation. All while closely working with…
- …Artists to help them understand the space and to make sure they can turn it into something beautiful.
- …Gameplay Designers to make sure things like the roads are just the right size and shape.
- Placing NPCs, enemies, and all of the important gameplay-specific props necessary to pull off your vision of the experience. All while closely working with…
- …Combat Designers to make sure you’re utilizing the best practices to ensure a great combat experience.
- …AI Designers and the Narrative team to make sure the right NPCs are navigating your area the right way.
- Scripting the experience using Avalanche’s proprietary visual scripting language (similar to Unreal’s Blueprints) to make sure it engages the player just the right way. All while closely working with…
- …the Audio team to make sure the music hits at just the right time to really get the player’s heart racing.
- …the FX teams to make sure you’re using just the right juicy explosion.
- And generally working with everyone in the studio—from Directors to Interns and Artists to Programmers--to deliver a full, polished, and complete gameplay experience.
- And finally, making the right adjustments based on feedback and thoroughly debugging your work until it’s ready to make its way into the hands of millions of players.
To apply for this position please register below with a detailed resume and cover letter. Please make sure to include in your cover letter why you are interested in this specific position.
Apply as soon as possible as we review applications continuously. All further information is provided under non-disclosure agreement only. All applicants are required to relocate to work full-time in New York City.