Avalanche Studios is the original creator of the award-winning Just Cause franchise (published by Square Enix), the developer of Mad Max (published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment) and is currently working on Rage 2 (published by Bethesda Softworks), scheduled for release in 2019. As a publisher, Avalanche Studios has brought free-to-play service theHunter Classic to market and reached more than 7 million registered players across 190 countries. The theHunter franchise was expanded in 2017 to also include premium title theHunter: Call of the Wild, which was released for PC and subsequently console platforms. Avalanche Studios, which is based in Stockholm, New York City and Malmö, was founded in 2003 by Christofer Sundberg and Linus Blomberg. The studio develops games using its proprietary Apex technology, enabling huge open worlds filled with emergent gameplay.
As a member of the audio team, you will enjoy working with many and varied parts of implementation and design, through our editors and scripting languages, as well as middle ware solutions and standard audio editors. The Avalanche audio pipeline is design driven, so you will enjoy great freedom in your designs as you implement these designs all the way into the game.
As a Sound Designer you will be part of a tight and highly motivated team that strives to create the best sound experiences possible in games. In addition to the various members of the audio department you will get to work side by side with game developers of all disciplines (e.g., UI, vehicles, weapons, etc) in order to help them realize the sound of their designs.
Qualified candidates must have a passion for audio, a feel for music and a solid grasp of theoretical concepts such as sonic perspective, layered textures and abstract vs. concrete sound design as well as more tangible concepts such as gain structure, and basic digital audio principals.
- designing sounds
- implementation of sounds into the game
- dialog editing
- music editing
- Minimum of 3 years working as a sound designer in the games industry (film industry experience appreciated) with at least one shipped AAA title
- Great understanding of sound implementation and design, and the stages involved in taking your design all the way into the game
- Ability to take direction for sound design
- Good grasp of FMOD (Designer or Studio)
- Fluent in common audio tools and software (Reaper, Cubase, ProTools, Soundforge, etc)
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to edit and navigate within XML and Python scripts
- Highly motivated and good at communicating and working within cross-discipline teams
- Field recording experience
- Understanding of new loudness standards
- Solid grasp of microphone basics
At Avalanche Studios, we believe in worlds without limits, and we are committed to develop a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to hire great talent from a variety of backgrounds. Being part of our world is not contingent on where you’re from, your gender, or sexual orientation. It’s all about your passion, courage and craftsmanship.
Our state of the art studio is located in the beautiful area of Södermalm, in the center of Stockholm and the Game industry Hub. Our studio is a beautiful place inspired by our catalog of games, from the lush jungle of a lobby (Just Cause) to the corroded steel beams housing the light fixtures above your new workplace (Mad Max). We hope you’ll come to think of this place as your home turf and creative foundation.
To apply for this position please register below with a detailed CV and cover letter. All further information is provided under non-disclosure agreement only. All applicants are required to relocate to work full-time in Stockholm, Sweden.