Avalanche Studios is the original creator of the award-winning Just Cause franchise (published by Square Enix), the developer of Mad Max (published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment) and is currently working on Rage 2 (published by Bethesda Softworks), scheduled for release in 2019. As a publisher, Avalanche Studios has brought free-to-play service theHunter Classic to market and reached more than 7 million registered players across 190 countries. The theHunter franchise was expanded in 2017 to also include premium title theHunter: Call of the Wild, which was released for PC and subsequently console platforms. Avalanche Studios, which is based in Stockholm, New York City and Malmö, was founded in 2003 by Christofer Sundberg and Linus Blomberg. The studio develops games using its proprietary Apex technology, enabling huge open worlds filled with emergent gameplay.
Avalanche Studios is looking for a Mission/ Level Designer to join our team on our AAA open world action game. We’re currently looking at Designers of all experience levels—junior, mid, and senior. If you’re junior and you’ve got the drive and talent, we’ll train you to be one of the best. If you’re senior, we’ll scale your responsibilities to match.
As a Mission/ Level Designer, you’ll be responsible for creating amazing locations in the game world while also scripting specific experiences the player will have in them. Think of it as being responsible for making both a mission and the setting where it takes place. In practice, this means:
- Designing, writing and scripting engaging missions and narrative flows. All while closely working with:
- The game director, to ensure your mission design is in line with the high level narrative
- Your lead designer, to ensure that you maximize the synergy and showcase of gameplay mechanics
- Building settings from the ground up using buildings, roads, props and terrain. All while closely working with:
- The art team, to ensure your designs fit the aesthetic of the game, and are visually up to scratch
- World designers, to ensure your locations fit in the greater context of the open world as well as identifying synergies
- Placing all of the enemies and gameplay props necessary to pull off your vision of the experience. All while closely working with:
- Your lead designer, to ensure your vision fits the overall design requirements
- The art team, to ensure you have the assets needed for your vision
- And finally, making adjustments based on feedback and thoroughly debugging your work until it’s ready to make its way into the hands of millions of players.
We’re looking for a designer who:
- Is passionate about the art and theory of level design
- Has strong knowledge of game design fundamentals
- Has strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Has an interest in writing and storytelling
- Is cooperative and enthusiastic towards the work of other related disciplines and contributes to a stronger team spirit
- Has a passion for playing open world action games!
- Can recognise, decompose and recreate an engaging moment to moment player experience in a mission context
- Experience as a mission / level designer on a AAA title
- Experience building open world games
- Experience working with narrative (text, dialogue or environmental storytelling)
- Experience in other design fields (game design, AI design etc)
- Any artistic experience in areas such as lighting and animation
- Scripting experience / knowledge (Python, LUA or equal)
To apply for this position please register below with a detailed resume and cover letter. Apply as soon as possible as we review applications continuously. All further information is provided under non-disclosure agreement only. All applicants are required to relocate to work full-time in Stockholm.
At Avalanche Studios, we believe in worlds without limits, and we are committed to develop a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to hire great talent from a variety of backgrounds. Being part of our world is not contingent on where you’re from, your gender, or sexual orientation. It’s all about your passion, courage and craftsmanship.
Our state of the art studio is located in the beautiful area of Södermalm, in the center of Stockholm and the Game industry Hub. Our studio is a beautiful place inspired by our catalog of games, from the lush jungle of a lobby (Just Cause) to the corroded steel beams housing the light fixtures above your new workplace (Mad Max). We hope you’ll come to think of this place as your home turf and creative foundation.