Avalanche Studios is the original creator of the award-winning Just Cause franchise (published by Square Enix), the developer of Mad Max (published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment) and is currently working on Rage 2 (published by Bethesda Softworks), scheduled for release in 2019. As a publisher, Avalanche Studios has brought free-to-play service theHunter Classic to market and reached more than 7 million registered players across 190 countries. The theHunter franchise was expanded in 2017 to also include premium title theHunter: Call of the Wild, which was released for PC and subsequently console platforms. Avalanche Studios, which is based in Stockholm, New York City and Malmö, was founded in 2003 by Christofer Sundberg and Linus Blomberg. The studio develops games using its proprietary Apex technology, enabling huge open worlds filled with emergent gameplay.
Avalanche Studios is looking for a Senior World Designer to join our team in creating a yet unannounced self publishing project. The team is moderately sized which will give you great opportunities to influence the end product while at the same time requiring you to push the boundaries of your discipline when needed.
As a Senior World Designer, you’ll mainly be responsible for creating amazing locations in the game world while also scripting specific experiences the player will have in them. You will be getting your hands dirty building great experiences with a wide range of editors and tools. In practice, this entails tasks like:
- Working with the Game Director, Lead Artist, and your fellow Designers to formulate a pitch and seeing it through the approval process.
- Building the barebones version of the setting. From the rough shape and placement of buildings and roads to any important natural landmarks and vegetation. All while closely working with Artists to help them understand the space and to make sure they can turn it into something beautiful.
- Gameplay Designer to make sure things like the roads are just the right size and shape.
- Placing enemies and all important gameplay-specific props necessary to pull off your vision of the experience. All while closely working with Combat Designer to make sure you're utilizing the best practices to ensure a great combat experience, and Narrative and Mission designers to make sure that the environment tells the necessary story.
- Working with the Audio and FX team to make sure you're setting just the right tone and mood.
- Setting up exterior and interior location prefabs at the right level of complexity and quality to propagate a large game world that ends up more than the sum of its parts.
- Finally, making the right adjustments based on feedback and thoroughly debugging your work until its ready to make its way into the hands of millions of players.
- Experience as a World / Level Designer on a AAA title
- Experience with open world games
- Experience with world art or terrain sculpting
- Ability to analyze and understand how existing games are constructed
- Strong knowledge of game design fundamental
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Able to successfully produce results individually and as part of a team
- A passion for playing open world action games!
- Experience working with game editors such as UnrealEd/Hammer
- Scripting experience/knowledge (Python, LUA or equal)
To apply for this position please register below with a detailed resume and cover letter. Apply as soon as possible as we review applications continuously. All further information is provided under non-disclosure agreement only. All applicants are required to relocate to work full-time in Malmö, Sweden.
At Avalanche Studios, we believe in worlds without limits, and we are committed to develop a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to hire great talent from a variety of backgrounds. Being part of our world is not contingent on where you’re from, your gender, or sexual orientation. It’s all about your passion, courage and craftsmanship.
Our studio in Malmö, Sweden is the company’s third location since it was founded in Stockholm in 2003, and expanded to New York City in 2011.The Malmö studio will focus on development of current and future Avalanche Studios IPs, relatively small and flexible projects which rest on a solid foundation of AAA production values and award-winning proprietary technology. Malmö was chosen because of its unique location, rich culture and - above all - thriving game development community. With our creative independence, a decade and a half of experience and strong portfolio of games, Avalanche Studios will fill a unique position in the city.