Avalanche Studios is the original creator of the award-winning Just Cause franchise (published by Square Enix), the developer of Mad Max (published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment) and is currently working on Rage 2 (published by Bethesda Softworks), scheduled for release in 2019. As a publisher, Avalanche Studios has brought free-to-play service theHunter Classic to market and reached more than 7 million registered players across 190 countries. The theHunter franchise was expanded in 2017 to also include premium title theHunter: Call of the Wild, which was released for PC and subsequently console platforms. Avalanche Studios, which is based in Stockholm, New York City and Malmö, was founded in 2003 by Christofer Sundberg and Linus Blomberg. The studio develops games using its proprietary Apex technology, enabling huge open worlds filled with emergent gameplay.
Avalanche Studios is currently hiring a Lead Artist to an unannounced self published title being developed in Malmö.
Avalanche Studios are looking for an experienced Lead Artist who is ready to raise the bar in our next self published title. You assignment will be to implement the artistic vision of the game from preproduction until the game is released. You will be the team leader that mentors and provides constructive feedback to all artist. As the Lead Artist you will collaborate with game designers, engineers and animators and also participate in establishing work assignments, content delivery reviews, milestones, QA/testing and research.
This is a rare opportunity for the candidate who wants to play an instrumental and leading role in a small but senior team, making AAA quality games. If you are a person who likes being challenged and stimulated in an ambitious and talented environment this position will suit you perfectly!
- 5+ years as an 3D Artist, including production work on at least two shipped AAA console action games
- Experience working as a Lead or in other leading position
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent skills in Maya, Photoshop, Z-brush or equivalent
- A good eye to faithfully interpret production and concept art from initial creation of assets to implementation in the final product
- Skilled in modeling both hard surface and organic forms - with an excellent understanding of topology and UVs
- Create texture and shader setups
- Knowledge and understanding of human anatomy - with an eye for accurate proportions, form, and details.
- Knowledge and understanding of various natural and urban landscape designs and periods - with an eye for accurate proportions, form, composition, and details.
- Knowledge of gaming field trends and gaming design requirements and limitations
- Broad range of asset creation from realistic to stylized
- Ability to create a range of high and low poly objects such as props, buildings and organic objects(rocks, trees, etc)
- Solid understanding of lighting, VFX/particle systems, renders passes, and compositing
- Understand game design practices, game playability and actively play all studio products (in an effort to provide feedback and help ensure a quality product)
To apply for this position please register below with a detailed CV and cover letter. A portfolio demonstrating all aspects of your skills is also required. Apply as soon as possible as we review applications continuously. All further information is provided under non-disclosure agreement only. All applicants are required to relocate to work full-time in Malmö, Sweden.
At Avalanche Studios, we believe in worlds without limits, and we are committed to develop a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to hire great talent from a variety of backgrounds. Being part of our world is not contingent on where you’re from, your gender, or sexual orientation. It’s all about your passion, courage and craftsmanship.
Our studio in Malmö, Sweden is the company’s third location since it was founded in Stockholm in 2003, and expanded to New York City in 2011.The Malmö studio will focus on development of current and future Avalanche Studios IPs, relatively small and flexible projects which rest on a solid foundation of AAA production values and award-winning proprietary technology. Malmö was chosen because of its unique location, rich culture and - above all - thriving game development community. With our creative independence, a decade and a half of experience and strong portfolio of games, Avalanche Studios will fill a unique position in the city.