Avalanche Studios is the original creator of the award-winning Just Cause franchise (published by Square Enix), the developer of Mad Max (published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment) and is currently working on Rage 2 (published by Bethesda Softworks), scheduled for release in 2019. As a publisher, Avalanche Studios has brought free-to-play service theHunter Classic to market and reached more than 7 million registered players across 190 countries. The theHunter franchise was expanded in 2017 to also include premium title theHunter: Call of the Wild, which was released for PC and subsequently console platforms. Avalanche Studios, which is based in Stockholm, New York City and Malmö, was founded in 2003 by Christofer Sundberg and Linus Blomberg. The studio develops games using its proprietary Apex technology, enabling huge open worlds filled with emergent gameplay.
We are looking for passionate and highly motivated Technical Animator for our new studio in Malmö. As the Technical Animator you will be responsible for all character, vehicle and prop related set-ups (including skinning) required for the animation team. You will also be responsible for providing tools and improving pipelines and workflows that will maximise efficiency. The ideal candidate will have experience creating advanced skeletons and control rigs for characters (bipedal and quadrupedal) and custom rigs/set-ups for vehicles and props. An in depth knowledge of skinning characters and creating set-ups required for secondary motion is also necessary.
Alongside your project, you will be a member of our knowledge based platform Crafts. In the Technical Animation Craft, you meet and develop with Technical Animators and Animator Scripters cross-projects. You share experiences and knowledge with each other, in order to learn and to be aligned cross-projects on what makes the best Open-world experiences.
- Excellent understanding of character rigging & custom rigs
- Expert knowledge of at least one 3d-package (MotionBuilder, Maya or 3DsMax)
- Excellent skinning skills
- High proficiency in technical problem solving
- A good understanding of anatomy and human motion
- Advanced scripting skills
- At least 1 current gen title released working as a Technical Animator
- Good communication skills and experience working in a team environment
- A desire to push animation in video-games to new levels of believability
- An accomplished knowledge of Motion Builder and Maya
- Experience working with ragdoll set-ups (ideally within Havok).
- Experience creating high and low res facial rigs
- Experience of scripting with Python
- Basic animation skills
- Experience of SDK plugin development
- Experience working with procedural, additive, layered animation and animation state trees
- Experience working with Moven/Xsens suits and/or IPISoft
- Experience working with agile/scrum development methodology
- A keen gamer who keeps up to date with industry related developments
To apply for this position please register below with a detailed CV and cover letter. Apply as soon as possible as we review applications continuously. All further information is provided under non-disclosure agreement only. All applicants are required to relocate to work full-time in Malmö, Sweden.
At Avalanche Studios, we believe in worlds without limits, and we are committed to develop a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to hire great talent from a variety of backgrounds. Being part of our world is not contingent on where you’re from, your gender, or sexual orientation. It’s all about your passion, courage and craftsmanship.
Our studio in Malmö, Sweden is the company’s third location since it was founded in Stockholm in 2003, and expanded to New York City in 2011.The Malmö studio will focus on development of current and future Avalanche Studios IPs, relatively small and flexible projects which rest on a solid foundation of AAA production values and award-winning proprietary technology. Malmö was chosen because of its unique location, rich culture and - above all - thriving game development community. With our creative independence, a decade and a half of experience and strong portfolio of games, Avalanche Studios will fill a unique position in the city.