Avalanche Studios is one of the game industry’s leading independent developers. Renowned for triple-A blockbuster hits like Just Cause, Mad Max and the upcoming Rage 2, Avalanche Studios has in the last decade expanded its business to develop and release its own IPs. With theHunter, theHunter: Call of the Wild and Generation Zero, Avalanche Studios is firmly established as one of the leading Games As A Service developers. The world-leading open world engine Apex 2.0 underpins these titles, made for PC and consoles and developed in Stockholm, New York and Malmö.
Avalanche Studios is currently hiring a VFX Artist to join a top-tier team based in Stockholm. As this is a new team we are staffing up we are looking for motivated and driven VFX Artists that are excited about creating cutting edge AAA visual effects. We are interested in hearing from both junior, mid-level and senior developers for this position. The team has a local producer based in the Stockholm studio, and collaborates daily with the art team in New York.
The focus and majority of time will be spent creating, implementing and optimizing particle visual effects. Examples include fire, smoke, explosion trails and sparkle bursts. The ideal candidate feels comfortable in a team environment and is able to deliver compelling special effects for an original IP. You will work with the Art Director and the Lead Artist to create visually stunning effects utilizing the Avalanche engine. This is a huge opportunity for a driven effect artist to be able to help manage, research and evolve the Avalanche effects pipeline and expertise to create amazing visual effects. Avalanche Studios is developing for next gen platforms.
- Experience in the game industry on a AAA game
- Expert in creating high-quality particle effects and textures
- A portfolio showcasing high-quality effects reel and high resolution effect textures
- The ability to view visual reference of an effect, deconstruct it and subsequently re-create it in a real-time game engine is essential
- Strong knowledge of environmental effects, cloth simulations, lighting and dynamics\n
- High proficiency in technical problem solving
- Knowledge of Photoshop, Maya, Adobe After Effects and 3D Studio Max
- Experience working with and knowledge of PS4 and Xbox One hardware
- Experience creating real time effects through proprietary engines
- Experience in writing scripts/plugins in MEL, C/C++ for Maya
- Experience in creating real time shaders and post effects
- You like to blow up stuff (digitally)!
We can offer you a varied job where you work closely with a fun and experienced team with extremely competent people in a highly specialized and unique development environment. Since Avalanche Studios is Sweden’s biggest independent studio you will have unique possibilities to have a big influence on today’s and tomorrow’s game development.
To apply for this position please register below with a detailed resume, link to a portfolio (preferably with explosions) and cover letter. A portfolio is required demonstrating all aspects of your skills. Apply as soon as possible as we review applications continuously. All further information is provided under non-disclosure agreement only. All applicants are required to relocate to work full-time in Stockholm.
At Avalanche Studios, we believe in worlds without limits, and we are committed to develop a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to hire great talent from a variety of backgrounds. Being part of our world is not contingent on where you’re from, your gender, or sexual orientation. It’s all about your passion, courage and craftsmanship.
Our state of the art studio is located in the beautiful area of Södermalm, in the center of Stockholm and the Game industry Hub. Our studio is a beautiful place inspired by our catalog of games, from the lush jungle of a lobby (Just Cause) to the corroded steel beams housing the light fixtures above your new workplace (Mad Max). We hope you’ll come to think of this place as your home turf and creative foundation.