Avalanche Studios is looking for a Senior World Designer to join our team, currently creating an unannounced self published game. The team is moderately sized which will give you fantastic opportunities to influence the end product alongside you pushing the boundaries of your discipline.
As a Senior World Designer, you’ll mainly be responsible for creating amazing locations in the game world while also scripting specific experiences the player will have in them. You will be getting your hands dirty building these immersive worlds with a wide range of editors and tools.
- Plan, build and iterate on open-world environments from basic foundations through to completion. Establishing key landmarks, locations and asset requirements
- Working closely with the System, Mission and Narrative design teams to implement the various gameplay, AI and shape spaces that play brilliantly and tell a story
- Establish and drive the improvement of world creation pipelines through the creation and requesting of prefabs and systemic elements that allow you to balance efficiency with quality
- Work with the Audio and FX team to ensure you’re setting the right tone and mood
- Finally, making the right adjustments based on feedback and thoroughly debugging your work until its ready to make its way into the hands of millions of players
- An excellent understanding of level and world design principles from high-level world flow to crafting dynamic encounter and traversal spaces
- Experience on creating open world spaces using terrain sculpting and greybox tools
- Strong knowledge of game design fundamentals with an understanding of how to craft a space that fully embraces systemic elements
- Self-motivated in setting and reaching goals while able to produce results as part of a team
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to communicate ideas and requirements to stakeholders
To apply for this position please register below with a detailed resume, cover letter and portfolio. Apply as soon as possible as we review applications continuously. All further information is provided under non-disclosure agreement only. All applicants are required to relocate to work full-time in Malmö, Sweden.
At Avalanche Studios, we believe in worlds without limits, and we are committed to develop a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to hire great talent from a variety of backgrounds. Being part of our world is not contingent on where you’re from, your gender, or sexual orientation. It’s all about your passion, courage and craftsmanship.
Our studio in Malmö, Sweden is the company’s third location since it was founded in Stockholm in 2003, and expanded to New York City in 2011.The Malmö studio will focus on development of current and future Avalanche Studios IPs, relatively small and flexible projects which rest on a solid foundation of AAA production values and award-winning proprietary technology. Malmö was chosen because of its unique location, rich culture and - above all - thriving game development community. With our creative independence, a decade and a half of experience and strong portfolio of games, Avalanche Studios will fill a unique position in the city.
Avalanche Studios is one of the game industry’s leading independent developers. Renowned for triple-A blockbuster hits like Just Cause, Mad Max and the upcoming Rage 2, Avalanche Studios has in the last decade expanded its business to develop and release its own IPs. With theHunter, theHunter: Call of the Wild and Generation Zero, Avalanche Studios is firmly established as one of the leading Games As A Service developers. The world-leading open world engine Apex 2.0 underpins these titles, made for PC and consoles and developed in Stockholm, New York and Malmö.