Avalanche Studios is the original creator of the award-winning Just Cause franchise (published by Square Enix), the developer of Mad Max (published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment) and is currently working on Rage 2 (published by Bethesda Softworks), scheduled for release in 2019. As a publisher, Avalanche Studios has brought free-to-play service theHunter Classic to market and reached more than 7 million registered players across 190 countries. theHunter franchise was expanded in 2017 to also include premium title theHunter: Call of the Wild, which was released for PC and subsequently console platforms. Avalanche Studios, which is based in Stockholm, New York City and Malmö, was founded in 2003 by Christofer Sundberg and Linus Blomberg. The studio develops games using its proprietary Apex technology, enabling huge open worlds filled with emergent gameplay.
Avalanche Studios is currently hiring a VFX Artist to join a top-tier team based in New York. As this is a new team we are staffing up we are looking for motivated and driven VFX Artists that are excited about creating cutting edge AAA visual effects. We are interested in hearing from both mid-level and senior developers for this position.
The focus and majority of time will be spent creating, implementing and optimizing particle visual effects. Examples include fire, smoke, explosion trails and sparkle bursts. The ideal candidate feels comfortable in a team environment and is able to deliver compelling special effects for an original IP. You will work with the Art Director and the Lead Artist to create visually stunning effects utilizing the Avalanche engine. This is a huge opportunity for a driven effect artist to be able to help manage, research and evolve the Avalanche effects pipeline and expertise to create amazing visual effects. Avalanche Studios is developing for next gen platforms.
- Experience in the game industry on a AAA game
- Expert in creating high-quality particle effects and textures
- A portfolio showcasing high-quality effects reel and high resolution effect textures
- The ability to view visual reference of an effect, deconstruct it and subsequently re-create it in a real-time game engine is essential
- Strong knowledge of environmental effects, cloth simulations, lighting and dynamics\n
- High proficiency in technical problem solving
- Knowledge of Photoshop, Maya, Adobe After Effects and Houdini
- Experience working with and knowledge of PS4 and Xbox One hardware
- Experience creating real time effects through proprietary engines
- Experience in writing scripts/plugins in MEL, C/C++ for Maya
- Experience in creating real time shaders and post effects
At Avalanche Studios, we believe in worlds without limits, and we are committed to develop a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to hire great talent from a variety of backgrounds. Being part of our world is not contingent on where you’re from, your gender, or sexual orientation. It’s all about your passion, courage and craftsmanship.
All applicants are required to relocate to work full-time in New York.