Avalanche Studios is the original creator of the award-winning Just Cause franchise (published by Square Enix), the developer of Mad Max (published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment) and is currently working on Rage 2 (published by Bethesda Softworks), scheduled for release in 2019. As a publisher, Avalanche Studios has brought free-to-play service theHunter Classic to market and reached more than 7 million registered players across 190 countries. The theHunter franchise was expanded in 2017 to also include premium title theHunter: Call of the Wild, which was released for PC and subsequently console platforms. Avalanche Studios, which is based in Stockholm, New York City and Malmö, was founded in 2003 by Christofer Sundberg and Linus Blomberg. The studio develops games using its proprietary Apex technology, enabling huge open worlds filled with emergent gameplay.
Avalanche Studios is looking to add one professional to our Game Design Craft. Is it you we are looking for?
- Always curious about how things work. "Can it really be true that Sumo Wrestling is rigged?
- Always questioning hearsay, motives and incentives. "Why would the Sumo wrestlers cheat?
- Intelligent and well read. "Sumo is sacrosanct and deeply engraved in Japanese culture, if they cheat that would be remarkable given their honor culture.
- Slightly eccentric. "I’m going to add an example about Sumo wrestlers. That will be brilliant
Yet you are ALSO;
- Social and caring.
- Committed and loyal.
- Resilient in the face of adversity.
- Fiercely result driven.
- A realist. "This workflow must be improved or no one in their right mind will bother to build this content."
- Aware of the bottom line. “The system may be the most elegant thing ever designed, but the content we have built does little to enhance what the player perceives.”
And REMARKABLY you are ALSO;
- Skeptical of quick hacks. "It might be tempting but we will get results quicker with efficient workflows and content that "Just works.""
- Service Minded. "Don't worry, I'll expose that value for you so you can easily tweak it."
As a Senior Systems Designer you will be working closely with code to take features from detailed paper designs to finished balanced aspects of the game. You should feel as comfortable with the development tools as you do with detailing ideas on a sheet of paper.
You will have a fundamental contribution to the game, working on systems such as spawning or loot & rewards, improving work flows and being charged with balancing the in game economy.
- Able and willing to work in our Malmö studio
- Expert knowledge in one or several game editors and/or scripting languages
- Has at least 5 years experience and has shipped at least one title preferably a AAA Open World Games in a design role.
- Strong communication skills
- Examples of systems designed
- Creative writing or narrative design experience.
- Broad design experience - technical, level etc.
- Experience with procedural systems
- University Degree
- Developed tools and mods
- Spent time as a support Technician or a QA Engineer
At Avalanche Studios, we believe in worlds without limits, and we are committed to develop a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to hire great talent from a variety of backgrounds. Being part of our world is not contingent on where you’re from, your gender, or sexual orientation. It’s all about your passion, courage and craftsmanship.
Our studio in Malmö, Sweden is the company’s third location since it was founded in Stockholm in 2003, and expanded to New York City in 2011.The Malmö studio will focus on development of current and future Avalanche Studios IPs, relatively small and flexible projects which rest on a solid foundation of AAA production values and award-winning proprietary technology. Malmö was chosen because of its unique location, rich culture and - above all - thriving game development community. With our creative independence, a decade and a half of experience and strong portfolio of games, Avalanche Studios will fill a unique position in the city.