Avalanche Studios is the original creator of the award-winning Just Cause franchise (published by Square Enix), the developer of Mad Max (published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment) and is currently working on Rage 2 (published by Bethesda Softworks), scheduled for release in 2019. As a publisher, Avalanche Studios has brought free-to-play service theHunter Classic to market and reached more than 7 million registered players across 190 countries. theHunter franchise was expanded in 2017 to also include premium title theHunter: Call of the Wild, which was released for PC and subsequently console platforms. Avalanche Studios, which is based in Stockholm, New York City and Malmö, was founded in 2003 by Christofer Sundberg and Linus Blomberg. The studio develops games using its proprietary Apex technology, enabling huge open worlds filled with emergent gameplay.
Avalanche Studios are looking for an experienced hard-surface artist to work with us on our new self-published title. As a Hard-surface artist at Avalanche Studios you will work in collaboration with art and other departments to create the weapons, vehicles, structures and other key assets in the world. We expect you to take your art all the way from conceptual mockups through modeling and texturing to final implementation in the game. You will also be responsible for the final functionality of your assets, such as complex collision modeling, destruction and morph-target creation, and other technical setups.
- Excellent modeling and texturing skills using Autodesk Maya and Substance Painter
- A strong understanding of asset art pipelines
- Experience with physical based rendering
- A strong reel/ portfolio demonstrating well-documented artistic ability
- A great sense of technical know how and functional problem-solving
- A strong sense for how mechanical objects are fabricated and assembled
- Passion for playing and making games
- Confidence to take forward and create assets from high level direction and sketches
- 3+ years of experience
- Delivery of at least one console title.
- Experience with additional software such as Zbrush and Substance designer.
- Experience with Quixel Suite and Photogrammetry
- Experience building environments
- Experience creating organic materials and props
- Experience creating previz animations to demonstrate technical ideas or solutions
- Ability to communicate an artistic vision
- Experience with concepting
- Experience using multiple game engines and tool chains.
To apply for this position please register below with a detailed resume and cover letter, as well as a link to your portfolio. Apply as soon as possible as we review applications continuously. All further information is provided under non-disclosure agreement only. All applicants are required to relocate to work full-time in Malmö, Sweden.
At Avalanche Studios, we believe in worlds without limits, and we are committed to develop a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to hire great talent from a variety of backgrounds. Being part of our world is not contingent on where you’re from, your gender, or sexual orientation. It’s all about your passion, courage and craftsmanship.
Our studio in Malmö, Sweden is the company’s third location since it was founded in Stockholm in 2003, and expanded to New York City in 2011.The Malmö studio will focus on development of current and future Avalanche Studios IPs, relatively small and flexible projects which rest on a solid foundation of AAA production values and award-winning proprietary technology. Malmö was chosen because of its unique location, rich culture and - above all - thriving game development community. With its creative independence, a decade and a half of experience and strong portfolio of games, Avalanche Studios will fill a unique position in the city.