Avalanche Studios is looking to add one professional to our Game Design Craft. Is it you we are looking for?
You'll be joining a small design team where you will take charge of the character systems. As the owner of the character mechanics design, you will take charge of player and character interactions with the world, both inside and outside of combat. You will take charge of the combat systems, and be expected to refine and balance the flow of battle. You will work closely with our coders and animators in order to nail the perfect character control feel, and you'll work with the rest of our design team to make sure weapons and equipment are balanced and work together. We’re also looking for someone who can keep an eye on the wider game; someone who can see the impacts of their work on other parts of the game, and who is able to ensure that the player systems work seamlessly together the rest of the game.
You will be expected to take on the following responsibilities
- Player & NPC mechanics, design & ownership
- Third person combat mechanics, design & ownership
- Third person camera, design & ownership
- Assisting in building AI behaviours
- Assisting in scripting animation states
- Always curious about how things work. "Can it really be true that Sumo Wrestling is rigged?
- Always questioning hearsay, motives and incentives. "Why would the Sumo wrestlers cheat?
- Intelligent and well read. "Sumo is sacrosanct and deeply engraved in Japanese culture, if they cheat that would be remarkable given their honor culture.
- Slightly eccentric. "I’m going to add an example about Sumo wrestlers. That will be brilliant.
Yet you are ALSO
- Humble. "I could be wrong, please show me what you mean."
- Social and caring.
- Committed and loyal.
- Resilient in the face of adversity. "We'll ride this storm out - it's going to be ok."
- Fiercely result driven. "This solution requires manually adding 100 data entries, but it is the right way to do it. I'm doing it now..."
- A realist. "This workflow must be improved or no one in their right mind will bother to build this content."
- Aware of the bottom line. “The system may be the most elegant thing ever designed, but the content we have built does little to enhance what the player perceives.”
And REMARKABLY you are ALSO
- Just the right amount of lazy. "There must be a better way to set this workflow up so that I don't have to do this **** every time".
- Skeptical of quick hacks. "It might be tempting but we will get results quicker with efficient workflows and content that "Just works.""
- Service Minded. "Don't worry, I'll expose that value for you so you can easily tweak it."
- Experience with State Machine Scripting
- Experience with behaviour trees
- Experience with data driven systems
- Experience with combat design and animation
- Able and willing to work in our Stockholm studio
- Worked on shipped games, preferably Open World Games
- Worked on mods or indie games
- Experience with procedural systems
- University Degree
- Stays up to date with current games and with developments in character mechanics
At Avalanche Studios, we believe in worlds without limits, and we are committed to developing a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. Being part of our world is not contingent on where you’re from, your gender, or sexual orientation. It’s all about your passion, courage and craftsmanship.
Our state of the art studio is located in the beautiful area of Södermalm, in the center of Stockholm and the Game industry Hub. Our studio is a beautiful place inspired by our catalog of games. We hope you’ll come to think of this place as your home turf and creative foundation.Avalanche Studios
Avalanche Studios is the original creator of the award-winning Just Cause franchise (published by Square Enix) and the developer of Mad Max (published by Warner Bros. Interactive) and Rage 2 (published by Bethesda Softworks). As a publisher, Avalanche Studios has released theHunter: Call of the Wild, Generation Zero and the free-to-play service theHunter Classic which has reached more than 8 million players across 190 countries. Avalanche Studios was founded in 2003 and is based in Stockholm, New York City and Malmö. The studio develops games using its proprietary Apex technology, enabling huge open worlds filled with emergent gameplay. Learn more at www.avalanchestudios.com