Avalanche Studios is one of the game industry’s leading independent developers. Renowned for triple-A blockbuster hits like Just Cause, Mad Max and the upcoming Rage 2, Avalanche Studios has in the last decade expanded its business to develop and release its own IPs. With theHunter, theHunter: Call of the Wild and Generation Zero, Avalanche Studios is firmly established as one of the leading Games As A Service developers. The world-leading open world engine Apex 2.0 underpins these titles, made for PC and consoles and developed in Stockholm, New York and Malmö.
As the Senior Technical Animator you will be responsible for all character, vehicle and prop related set-ups (including skinning) required for the animation team. You will also be responsible for providing tools and improving pipelines and workflows that will maximise efficiency and creating the vision for future pipelines. The ideal candidate will have experience creating advanced skeletons and control rigs for characters (bipedal and quadrupedal) and custom rigs/set-ups for vehicles and props. An in depth knowledge of skinning characters and creating set-ups required for secondary motion is also necessary.
Alongside your project, you will be a member of our knowledge based platform Crafts. In the Technical Animation Craft, you meet and develop with Technical Animators and Animator Scripters cross-projects. You share experiences and knowledge with each other, in order to learn and to be aligned cross-projects on what makes the best Open-world experiences.
- Excellent understanding of character rigging & custom rigs
- Expert knowledge of at least one 3d-package (MotionBuilder, Maya or 3DsMax)
- Excellent skinning skills
- High proficiency in technical problem solving
- A good understanding of anatomy and human motion
- Advanced scripting skills
- At least 1 current gen title released working as a Technical Animator
- Good communication skills and experience working in a team environment
- A desire to push animation in video-games to new levels of believability
- An accomplished knowledge of Motion Builder and Maya
- Experience working with ragdoll set-ups (ideally within Havok).
- Experience creating high and low res facial rigs
- Experience of scripting with Python
- Basic animation skills
- Experience of SDK plugin development
- Experience working with procedural, additive, layered animation and animation state trees
- Experience working with Moven/Xsens suits and/or IPISoft
- Experience working with agile/scrum development methodology
- A keen gamer who keeps up to date with industry related developments
To apply for this position please register below with a detailed CV and cover letter. Apply as soon as possible as we review applications continuously. All further information is provided under non-disclosure agreement only. All applicants are required to relocate to work full-time in Stockholm.
At Avalanche Studios, we believe in worlds without limits, and we are committed to develop a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to hire great talent from a variety of backgrounds. Being part of our world is not contingent on where you’re from, your gender, or sexual orientation. It’s all about your passion, courage and craftsmanship.
Our state of the art studio is located in the beautiful area of Södermalm, in the center of Stockholm and the Game industry Hub. Our studio is a beautiful place inspired by our catalog of games, from the lush jungle of a lobby (Just Cause) to the corroded steel beams housing the light fixtures above your new workplace (Mad Max). We hope you’ll come to think of this place as your home turf and creative foundation.