Avalanche Studios is one of the game industry’s leading independent developers. Renowned for triple-A blockbuster hits like Just Cause, Mad Max and the upcoming Rage 2, Avalanche Studios has in the last decade expanded its business to develop and release its own IPs. With theHunter Classic, theHunter: Call of the Wild and Generation Zero, Avalanche Studios is firmly established as one of the leading Games As A Service developers. The world-leading open world engine Apex 2.0 underpins these titles, made for PC and consoles and developed in Stockholm, New York and Malmö.
Avalanche Studios is looking for a World Designer to join our team on theHunter Call of the Wild. The team is moderately sized which will give you great opportunities to influence the end product while at the same time requiring you to push the boundaries of your discipline when needed.
As a World Designer, you’ll mainly be responsible for creating amazing locations in the game world while also scripting specific experiences the player will have in them. You will be getting your hands dirty building great experiences with a wide range of editors and tools. In practice, this entails tasks like:
- Building the barebones version of the setting. From the rough shape and placement of buildings and roads to any important natural landmarks and vegetation. All while closely working with Artists to help them understand the space and to make sure they can turn it into something beautiful.
- Gameplay Designer to make sure things like the roads are just the right size and shape.
- Closely working with Game Designer to make sure you're utilizing the best practices to ensure a great hunting experience, and Narrative and Mission designers to make sure that the environment tells the necessary story.
- Working with the Audio and VFX team to make sure you're setting just the right tone and mood.
- Setting up exterior and interior location prefabs at the right level of complexity and quality to propagate a large game world that ends up more than the sum of its parts.
- Finally, making the right adjustments based on feedback and thoroughly debugging your work until its ready to make its way into the hands of millions of players.
- Experience as a World / Level Designer on a title
- Experience with open world games
- Experience with world art or terrain sculpting
- Ability to analyze and understand how existing games are constructed
- Strong knowledge of game design fundamental
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Able to successfully produce results individually and as part of a team
- A passion for playing open world games!
- Experience working with game editors such as UnrealEd/Hammer
- Scripting experience/knowledge (Python, LUA or equal)
To apply for this position please register below with a detailed resume and cover letter. Apply as soon as possible as we review applications continuously. All further information is provided under non-disclosure agreement only. All applicants are required to relocate to work full-time in Stockholm, Sweden.
At Avalanche Studios, we believe in worlds without limits, and we are committed to develop a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to hire great talent from a variety of backgrounds. Being part of our world is not contingent on where you’re from, your gender, or sexual orientation. It’s all about your passion, courage and craftsmanship.
Our state of the art studio is located in the beautiful area of Södermalm, in the center of Stockholm and the Game industry Hub. Our studio is a beautiful place inspired by our catalog of games, from the lush jungle of a lobby (Just Cause) to the corroded steel beams housing the light fixtures above your new workplace (Mad Max). We hope you’ll come to think of this place as your home turf and creative foundation.