Avalanche Studios today announces theHunter: Call of the Wild, a next-generation hunting experience set in a vast open world. Developed by Expansive Worlds, the game will launch in early 2017 for PC.
The Reveal Trailer, all rendered in-engine and offering a glimpse of what’s to come, is now available.
With theHunter: Call of the Wild, we set out to create the most immersive hunting experience ever, said Peter Johansson, Game Director at Expansive Worlds. It’s been a massive undertaking, but seeing the wilderness come to life has been worth every effort. I can’t wait to let players experience it for themselves early next year.
theHunter: Call of the Wild is unlike the explosive action that has become our trademark over the past decade, but there is a lot of our open-world DNA in this game, commented Pim Holfve, CEO of Avalanche Studios. It’s also great to build on and expand what is arguably our least known success, the long-running online hunting simulation theHunter.
A Next-Generation Hunting Experience.
- theHunter: Call of the Wild offers the most immersive hunting experience ever created. Step into a beautiful open world teeming with life, from majestic deer and awe-inspiring bison down to the countless birds, critters and insects of the wilderness.
- Experience complex animal behavior, dynamic weather events, full day and night cycles, simulated ballistics, highly realistic acoustics, scents carried by a sophisticated wind system, and much more. All systems work together to increase immersion and bring out the hunter in you.
Explore a Vast Open World.
- Explore 50 square miles of varied terrain, ranging from wetlands and dense forests to lush valleys and open farm fields. The vast world of theHunter: Call of the Wild is split up into separate and distinct hunting reserves, each one filled with surprises and memorable moments.
- Take on missions and challenges from the locals, or go off the beaten path. Discover lookouts, hunting towers and outposts. They will allow you to move swiftly and effortlessly throughout the massive open world.
A Decade in the Making.
- theHunter: Call of the Wild is the evolution of theHunter, Expansive Worlds' stand-out hunting game, with over 6 million registered players and 7 years of live operations.
- Avalanche Studios and Expansive Worlds bring hunting to a new generation of players. theHunter: Call of the Wild is built using Apex – Avalanche Open World Engine, award-winning technology crafted during a decade of developing explosive action games.
Become a Hunter. Design the Hunt.
- Acquire and equip a range of rifles, handguns and bows and customize them with scopes and different ammunition types. Find and master your favorites. Develop your character by unlocking various skills and equipment. Learn how to use callers and scents, but above all else, study your prey: pay close attention to animal behavior, traits and patterns of movement.
- New to hunting? Not a problem. Intelligent systems will aid and assist to make sure you get the most out of your hunt, whether you're a hopeful novice or grizzled veteran.
Share Hunting Experiences. Earn Bragging Rights.
- In addition to its rich single player experience, theHunter: Call of the Wild offers unique multiplayer options. Join up to 8 friends (or complete strangers!) in cooperative and competitive modes. Enjoy a wide range of in-game challenges and events. Hunting is more rewarding and exciting with friends, so share your experiences and earn those bragging rights.
- theHunter is a franchise built around its community. True to that legacy, the evolution of theHunter: Call of the Wild will be shaped by the deep knowledge and unrivaled dedication of its players. Together, we'll make it an even richer experience over time.
About Avalanche Studios
Avalanche Studios is the original creator of the award-winning Just Cause franchise, and most recently released Just Cause 3 (published by Square Enix). Just two months earlier, it released Mad Max (published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment). The studio has also created acclaimed twin stick shooter Renegade Ops (published by SEGA) and self-published free-to-play service theHunter (developed by subsidiary Expansive Worlds) with more than 6 million registered players across 190 countries. Avalanche Studios, which is based in Stockholm and New York City, was founded in 2003 by Christofer Sundberg and Linus Blomberg. The studio develops games created using the proprietary Apex – Avalanche Open World Engine – enabling huge open worlds filled with emergent gameplay.
Thomas Wiborgh, Head of Communications, Avalanche Studios